To Floor Level

All of this filling took a bit longer than predicted and the floor insulation arrived a little earlier than I would ideally have chosen.

and we had to find a way of avoiding exporting it to Europe in the Summer breeze so we used the teleporter jib to hold down the breeze blocks - not unlike this photo.

The next bit I found tricky. The squad had to move a vast amount of 'hardcore' material into the founds and, inevitably, there was more damage to bricks. There were a few days when I stayed in the portacabin for a lot of the time; there were lots of telephone calls to make but another reason was that each time I went round the corner to view progress I was made reminded of the damage to the bricks.

At that time we didn't have a method of dealing with repairs but thanks to Georgie at Easter Logie School House who recommended an adhesive, and to my buddy of many years, Hector, who has spent many hours on his knees on the blinding, we have been able to repair several of the damaged bits so far - OK, it takes a while and is hard on the knees but it works and the bond is stronger than the polystyrene! Photo just down the page. Now we have to repair Hector's knees.

The next bit was filling the founds with blinding material to minimise the possibility of penetrating the damp-proof membrane. For interest we are using 2 layers of 300 micron or 1200 gauge. With overlaps that means there are places where there are 4 layers of membrane under the insulation. In fact we have almost used up 1200 square metres on a house with just under 300 square metres of accommodation so I will have to go and get some more.

Now the garage looks like this

and the bits with insulation in can probably be seen from space by Uncle George.

That repair

and that adhesive is stronger than the polystyrene.

This week we had another full artic of BECO bricks and they have filled the barn so the big problem may be next Tuesday when the next artic of BECO is due and the croft still isn't emptied...

Keep watching - next weekend we should have a floor & a starter for an unconventional underfloor heating system! 22/7/06

We managed to shoehorn the BECO into the croft by stacking the packs 3 high and the rest of the week was spent preparing for the concrete floor. In fact one night we gave up putting in the underfloor heating pipes at 10.30pm because we couldn't see what we were doing.

The pipes were tied to the reinforcing mesh while it was lying on the slip layer of polythene because it was easier to do it dry rather than wading through setting concrete.

Then we lifted the mesh by 50mm using 400 wooden blocks - I was counting them while I was cutting them - before pouring 46 cubic metres of concrete. The blocks meant that the mesh is 50mm up from the bottom of what is a 150mm thick concrete raft.

Finally, on Friday afternoon the concrete was finished and by the next morning it looked like this.

and the various underfloor heating pipe sculptures looked like this.

By now we were becoming aware of a medium sized bird of prey that frequents the fields around the plot and I managed to get a long range picture.

I'll try to get a better one before long to help try and identify the species but we suspect it might be a buzzard.